Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring 2011 Couture

The couture shows for Spring 2011 took place at the end of January and we are seeing more of the looks featured on the red carpet, including the Oscars.  Here's an overview of the six main collections, from my least favorite to my most favorite:

Armani's collection, to me, was just off the mark.  It didn't say "Armani".  It said "TRON meets 90s-revival."  The dresses over pants, shimmer fabrics, button hats, and dark purple lips didn't cut it.  Out of 41 looks, these are the only looks I liked (and even then, just sort-of liked).  Armani is traditionally classic and tailored with glamor and a bit of androgyny, not futuristic, shiny, and saucer-topped.


 I was quiet disappointed in Chanel's collection.  It was sober and lacked the dazzle one hopes for with couture.  The collection featured mostly separates and, like Armani, dresses and skirts over pants.  There were no amazing gowns either, though I believe Michelle Williams wore a version of the last dress pictured to the Oscars.  I found myself much more in love with the label's Byzantine-inspired Pre-Fall collection.  The colors (black, white, and blush tones) and tweeds were undeniably Chanel and the collection had lovely moments.  But overall, I left feeling "eh" towards it.



Valentino's collection was also drab in color, but it features some really well-designed details.  The layered collars, ruffles, floral applique, and tiny bows were a delight amidst a sea of nude tones.  The shimmer and beading in some of the more formal pieces was stunning.  Again, I felt myself longing for a really great red dress.  I felt that the silhouettes and detailing were there, but not the palette.


Jean Paul Gaultier's collection had some real attitude and spunk about it.  His Gothic/Punk collection was like taking a shot of alcohol- it revs you up and gets the blood flowing.  The models had mohawks and make-up that was a roughed up take on classic cat-eyes and red lips.  The collection featured great details like cut-outs, feather-like tulle, bandaging, and a hint of old-fashioned glamor.


Dior's collection was, with-out a doubt, the most show-stopping.  Galliano created magic and beauty yet again in his amazing collection that featured takes on classic Dior silhouettes, such as the New Look.  The ombré fabrics, draping, embellishments, and layers of tulle blew me away.  The models oozed old Hollywood glamor and femme fatale sexiness.  Only reason it wasn't my favorite collection (by a small margin)?  I felt like I've seen very similar pieces from other Dior couture collections.




Elie Saab's couture collection was my favorite.  I felt like it was everything a couture collection should be- elegant, entrancing, and stunningly gorgeous.  The collection feature a wide range of colors- from rosey pinks to lavender, greens, reds, grays, and drop-dead sexy black.  Each garment was showcased amazing details like three-dimensional flowers, beading, and lace.  We've already seen several looks on the red carpet, including the lavender piece seen above on Mila Kunis at the Oscars and the off-the shoulder red number on Halle Berry.  I don't blame them- if I were attending a red carpet event, Elie Saab would be my go-to man.


XOXO,
Coco Birdie


**Images via Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment