Friday, September 17, 2010

NYFW Favorites: Spring 2011


I haven't had a chance to view the shows from yesterday, but here are my top 10 collections from the Spring 2011 Ready-to-Wear shows at NYC Fashion Week:

10. Reem Acra: I loved Reem Acra's use of embellishments, leather belts, and draping.  The sequin encrusted dresses where my favorites, and I liked the utilitarian belts over evening gowns.  I wasn't crazy about the print dresses though.


9. Luca Luca: Luca Luca had gorgeous chiffon prints, which I adored.  I also like the loose flowing day dresses and re-done classics, like their white suit.
 

8. Erin Fetherston: I was glad to see Erin Fetherston didn't have her models looking like clones of her.  I love the shimmering charmeuse, garden print, and draping found in both soft and stiff fabrics.
 

7. Carolina Herrera: I enjoyed Carolina Herrera's collection, but found the straw stovepipe hats to be distracting.  I love her color story, and garden inspiration.


6. Badgley Mischka: Badgley Mischka had beautiful draping and I particularly like the cool color story and embellishments.  They continue to do what they do best: cocktail and evening wear.


5. Jason Wu: I love Jason Wu's collection, but would have like more continuity.  He did sheers and volume beautifully.  I especially enjoyed the last few pieces of the collection and the violet blue print.


4. Chado Ralph Rucci: Ralph Rucci's technical skills never cease to amaze me.  He continued his sheer theme from the past few season, added in some amazing knotting and draping.  I loved his neutral color story with pops of red-orange.


3. Marchesa: After a few seasons of toying with other techniques, I'm glad to see Marchesa has returned to the mind-blowing volume and sculpture that I think she does best.  My favorite piece is on the end here, the sheer ivory dress with black detailing on the bust, peplum, and hem.  I can't wait to see these dresses on the red carpet.

2.  Christian Siriano: Christian Siriano is my favorite Project Runway alum and his after-reality work continues to impress.  This season, he featured brilliant whites both draped and tailored, pretty pink-red prints, and stunning volume.  His collection is both sale-able, wear-able, and still maintains an element of fantasy and couture-level work.
 
1.  Monique Lhuillier: Monique Lhuillier is currently my favorite collection.  I saved every look in my inspiration folder and loved each piece.  Her collection, unlike most, hung together well, had nice transitioning, and offers a bit for everyone.  I loved her high-waist trousers, floral print, cocktail dresses, and gallery worth evening gowns. 

What have been your favorites so far?  I'm hearing a lot of love for Marc Jacobs' collection, but I really hated it.  I was also disappointed by Michael Kors and Tommy Hilfiger, and Vera Wang's collection was too fall.  
I've seen bits and pieces that I like from Ralph Lauren, Jenny Packham, Oscar de la Renta, L'Wren Scott, J. Mendel, Rebecca Taylor, Tory Burch and Isaac Mizrahi but haven't had a chance to view their whole collections.  
I also liked Ports 1961, Milly, Douglas Hannant, Alice + Olivia, Tibi, Halston, Rachel Roy, Bibhu Mohaparta, Victoria Beckahm, Mulberry, DVF, Adam, and Ruffian.  I usually wait until the end and go through them all, so I'm sure my top 10 will be changing somewhat.

XOXO,
Coco Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment